5.7.17

6 reasons why charity shopping is the best



Last month I posted about my trip to Barnardo's charity shop and now I'm back for part two! I had the pleasure of raiding their rails and found so many cool pieces, I couldn't just do one post on the joys of charity shopping!

Due to the fact we have access to an extensive high street, I have been guilty in the past of forgetting the fact we have charity shops. I sometimes get stuck in a rut and find myself always clicking onto the same sites on my laptop or popping into my favourite stores in central London. 

Now don't get me wrong, the fact we are able to shop online so easily is a blessing. So many people are not as privileged as others and find it hard/impossible to just pop down to the shops. Online shopping offers so many people a life line and I know that when my Fibromyalgia is bad; I rely on  buying things online and having them sent to my front door.

If you have the time and are able to; here's...

Why I love shopping in charity shops 

Excitement of the unknown - One of the things that strikes me the most about shopping in charity shops is the excitement of the unknown. I never know what I'm going to find, if it's going to fit and who previously owned it. You never know what you're going to pick up and when I went into Barnardo's I had no plan on leaving with the items I did but now they're part of my wardrobe and I'm so happy!

Charity shops aren't size-ist - With your usual shops like Topshop or Marks and Spencer; you know the clothes stocked inside will generally only cater to a certain size range. The brilliant thing about charity shops is that they accept ALL sizes and as long as you're willing to hunt; you'll normally always find things that fit. Items donated might have been altered by their previous owner so you shouldn't just go by what the label says - try things on!

You're doing a good deed - Not only are you helping to lower the amount of money spent on fast fashion per year, but you are giving your money to charities that rely on the kindness of others to survive. Barnardo's are a charity focused on helping vulnerable children and every time you buy something from one of their stores; you'll be directly helping those kids. 

Shop Unisex - due to the nature of charity shops, the rails are jam packed with all sorts and often people don't put back the "correct item" in the "correct place". Browse every single rail and you might just find something that's right up your street.

Perfect for pressies - My best mate Bob is obsessed with 'tat' and like me has a house full of bits and bobs. I love buying him charity shop gifts, homeware especially! Make sure you look in every single part of a charity shop as you don't know what you'll unearth!

Beautiful, one off pieces at a reasonable price - Over the years, I have found some amazing designer pieces that would have cost an arm and a leg if they'd been on sale in a vintage shop. Dedicate your time to ferreting in those boxes, look at the back of the shelves and ask the shop workers when they restock their rails. Charity shops are like little gold mines and you might just come across a vintage Chanel jacket or Louis Vuitton handbag on your next trip.











Photography by JKGPhotography

1. Cape - Barnardo's | 2. Jeans | 3. Vans Trainers 

Don't forget to check out Barnardo's 'One Of A Kind' trend book; I was instantly intrigued and was over the moon when I saw that they had decided to exclusively use plus size girls. The trend book features a selection of Spring/Summer '17 looks and every outfit is made up of clothes and accessories donated to their stores. 

Take a look at the trend book, find out where your nearest charity shop is and if you can; head down there asap...you won't regret it! 
*This post was written in collaboration with Barnardo's but was not sponsored

Be sure to follow me over on my:
Twitter / Blog Lovin / Pinterest / Instagram / Tumblr
Blogger template by pipdig